Chief Operation Officer
Toronto Transit Commission
7:00 AM Workshop A: The Future of People and Automation: Managing Contractors and Employees in the Transition and Implementation of ATC
Transitioning to new operational systems takes buy-in and management with both contractors and employees. For some, this is a new working environment, so it is important to develop consistency across your organisation and set up the expectations for what needs to be achieved internally and externally with automation. This workshop will focus on developing a clearer path for the progression of new systems for the future by first exploring how to get your people on board.
What will the workshop cover?
- How to encourage buy-in from staff to better manage early adoption of technologies
- Creating palatable steps and programs that enable skill building and support for transition
- Innovation and partnerships: What should you be communicating with contractors to ensure the implementation of systems are aligned to customer and staff expectations
- Evaluating current restrictions and rules and its affect on the future of ATC: What are the responsibilities for contractors and staff in this time of change?
9:30 AM Brownfield CBTC – Examining the Lessons Learned from TTC and What it Means for Australia’s Operational Networks
The Toronto Transit Commission is in the midst of re-signalling the Yonge-University-Spadina subway line to improve reliability and capacity on Canada’s busiest subway system. Getting the system installed and operational on a brownfield network is like any other, a perfectly long process, resulting in weekend subway shutdowns along the line. With this in mind, Mike will discuss the challenges of brownfield CBTC, drawing on some insights from TTC’s upgrade, and what Australia can learn in their brownfield overlays.
- Understanding the importance of operational integration and laying out operational requirements to ensure you meet the project criteria and maintain consistency
- Efficiently managing trial operations and identifying the areas for improvement
- Managing customer expectations during work progress to ensure minimal disruption as possible