Site Tour and Workshops: Monday-Wednesday, 19th-21st February 2018
Interactive Morning Workshop: Monday, 19th February 2018
Interactive Morning Workshop: Tuesday, 20th February 2018
Post-Conference Control Room Focus Day: Wednesday, 21st February 2018
8:00 am - 10:00 am Workshop A: Testing and Commissioning in Brownfield Sites: Strategies for Integrating Systems in Existing NetworksDr. Frank Heibel - Founder & Director Doc Frank
Integrating new infrastructure and systems into existing networks has its challenges, particularly when you not only need to consider the testing of it with little disruption as possible, but also ensure consistency with its performance on the network. Globally, many rail organisations have been ambitious in executing their strategies and applications of new technology. In light of the investments in Australia’s current rail network, this workshop will discuss best practice cases for the installation, operation and maintenance of systems in brownfield networks.
What will the workshop cover?
- Identifying the systems that best align to your objectives and existing railway infrastructure
- Evaluating the client side and supplier side and how to work effectively together to understand the responsibilities in testing and commissioning
- Exploring the risk appetite for managing the transition from old to new and preparing for its affect with staff and the public
- From tunneling, skytrains and onto the main line – Understanding what needs to be done to maintain consistency between all lines and prepare for future network change
Dr. Frank HeibelFounder & Director
10:30 am - 12:30 pm Workshop B: Design a High Performing Control RoomIbrahim Fazah - ROC Facility Technical Manager Sydney Trains
Paris Lehn - ROC Human Factors Specialist Sydney Trains
The Rail Operations Centre (ROC) is a Sydney Trains-led program that will improve ‘day of operations’ activities, and thereby the delivery of services for Sydney Trains, NSW Trains and, ultimately, the travel experience of their customers.
This will occur through the introduction of new technologies, improved processes, a new organisational design and co-location of operational staff into a new purpose built control centre.
The design of the control room is a critical infrastructure consideration, designed around best practice human factors principles. The workshop will explore how this methodology was applied, to share lessons learned from delivering in a complex project and safety-critical environment.
What will the workshop cover?
- The objectives of the control room design: To provide a design which supports efficient communication, decision making, supervision and teamwork; to provide a comfortable work environment that optimises performance, and to ensure efficient management of operations and incident response
- The key principles of the control room design methodology: Applying a human-centred design approach, ensuring user participation, with ergonomics integrated into the engineering practice
- An iterative and detailed process undertaken for the control room design layout over four key stages: baseline analysis, conceptual design, detailed design, and assembly and testing
Ibrahim FazahROC Facility Technical Manager
Paris LehnROC Human Factors Specialist
1:30 pm - 4:30 pm Complimentary Site Tour: Sydney Trains’ New Rail Operations CentreAndrew Constantinou - Rail Operations Centre, Technical and Assurance Director Sydney Trains
The new Sydney Trains Rail Operations Centre is on track to be operational in 2018. This site visit provides conference delegates with an opportunity to see the building and control room while it’s still in the build phase. It also gives delegates the opportunity to meet some of the ROC Program Infrastructure building team and to understand some of the building and fit-out design principles and considerations. In order to attend the site visit, all participants must wear their own steel toe safety shoes. All other PPE will be provided as part of the site induction. The tour will have limited numbers, which will be confirmed closer to the tour date.
Andrew ConstantinouRail Operations Centre, Technical and Assurance Director