Pre Conference Workshops: 13th February, 2019
10:30 am - 12:30 pm Exploring The Voice of the Customer in Designing Train Control and Stations Management for a Holistic View of TCMSPeter Munro - General Manager Network Operations, Metro Trains Melbourne
This session explores not only Train Control Management System, but actually begins to understand the customer and how TCMS impacts them too. TCMS is increasingly becoming more integrated with the wider organisation and more customer focused. However there is little understanding of how to make TCMS more customer focused with a view of not just increasing frequency of trains to reduce customers journey times, but a greater understanding of how the entire customer journey looks and what they really want.
- Implementing design thinking in the design of a customer journey- rather than just focusing on the optimisation of the network for a cost saving
- Creating a holistic view of TCMS and how to involve the wider organisation in it
- Uncovering strategies in station design and people flow to enhance the journey of a customer
Peter MunroGeneral Manager Network Operations
Metro Trains Melbourne
1:00 pm - 3:00 pm Analysing the SmartRail 4.0 Strategy to Implement Digital Solutions to Enhance Train Control and SignallingChristoph Frei - IT Manager, SBB
The Swiss railway industry is harnessing digitalisation and new technologies to increase capacity and safety, make more efficient use of railway infrastructure, save costs and maintain the railway’s competitiveness in the longer term. They are using ECTS, localisation, ATO and a Traffic Management System. This workshop delves into each of these technologies and discusses the challenges with implementation, as well as how the SmartRail 4.0 will continue to be smart into the future.
- Specifying the case study of implementing ECTS, ATO and Traffic Management and the challenges that must be overcome to improve signalling and optimise train networks
- Navigating the continuous improvement of the network and the continued lessons learned after the project is finished
- Creating a framework for implementation through process and procedure, and how to track your progress
Christoph FreiIT Manager